artisan feature: small batch scents

8.29.2011




"I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume."

- Jacques Guerlain


Earlier this year, I was invited by the lovely Meredith of Sweet Anthem Handmade Perfumes, Tucker Oil Co. & Hearts of Oak Bespoke Perfumes (this woman does it all!) to join the brand new Independent Perfumers Guild, and over the last several months I've so enjoyed getting to know its members and having the opportunity to share information and inspiration!
Marble & Milkweed has never had an exclusive focus on fragrance (aside from our Perfume Serum & Solid Perfume No. 1), but scent is a personal interest of mine, and I like to play around with more things of that nature than you'll ever see in the shop, mostly for my own enjoyment. This fall, I do hope to finish working on Marble & Milkweed Perfume Serum & Solid Perfume No. 2, something that's been in the works for quite awhile. In the meantime, however, I'd like to feature some of the members of the IPG on my blog in the spirit of supporting small batch perfumers of all shapes and sizes.



With the intense humidity (and the hurricane!) we've been experiencing here in New York lately, I've been in a rather tropical mood. Fortunately, the lovely creators of Maoli Perfumes were able to send me their gorgeous little sample set of perfume balms inspired by their time living in Hawaii. They now live near Seattle, land of over-cast-ness, so it's easy to imagine that creating these paradisical blends to remember their former home was an enormous comfort and joy. That's why they're charmingly called "Alohatherapy"! They're also the perfect example of how closely memory and fragrance are linked, and how scent can both inspire and soothe longing...


The balms are created with an ultra-nourishing base of botanical oils, and come in four different scents. I've always had a little thing for jasmine, so I simply adore their Royal Pikake (made with four different kinds of jasmine!), but my favorite in terms of sheer tropical blissfulness is their Leilani's Lei Stand blend, with tuberose (sigh...), carnation and ylang ylang. It's completely exquisite!
The sample set comes in the cutest little tins, and they're perfect for tucking into your pocket or purse on the way out the door...my favorite place to apply them is on the New York City subway, a place not famous for its lovely smells. A dab of solid perfume is the perfect antidote to a busy day or a dull moment, alike, and Maoli's perfume balms will leave you with lifted spirits and a spring in your step!
Stay tuned for our next artisan feature, and some notes from my other life (in the kitchen), coming soon!

1 comments:

  1. What a lovely post, Briar! Mahalo for taking the time to share your experience with our perfume balms. I'm sure it will be like Christmas morning tomorrow when I tell the boys about your post.

    Can't wait to get to know more fellow perfumers from the Guild. Warm Aloha!

    ReplyDelete

 

analog beauty © All rights reserved · Theme by Blog Milk · Blogger